Tuesday, September 06, 2005

dingnity: over rated.

i am torn. am i afraid? disobedient? flawed?

tonight i worked through a worship prcatice that gave me a headache. i have recently learned the david crowder band intro to All Creatures, and i wasn't allowed to play it. it's a long story, but what it came down to was this mindset that i need to sit down and play more guitar. i know, in retrospect it's almost ridiculous, but i really felt like if i wanted to play with the talented musicians, then i need to practice more. get more talented, kurt.

then, later, we were struggling through You Are My King, which we shouldn't be, that song is cake. Long story short, we don't practice it, we just play and attempt to focus. we never sang the You are My King part. I love that part. So much inside of me wanted to spin and shout and dance and declare that You are My King, but i wasn't allowed. i didn't allow myself. and that was when i found myself being afraid, disobedient, and flawed. i sing things like I'll become even more undignified than this, but in that moment i realized how dignified every single thing is that happens on that stage. dignity gives me nothing but piousness.

God showed up and revealed to me his desire, not for my talent, but for my heart. dignity is over rated, but so is talent. yes, play skillfully unto the Lord, but skill is a load of crap if we can't be free enough in Christ to worship in spirit and truth, as undignified as we might end up being.

3 Comments:

Blogger scoeyd said...

Sr. Lib -
Found you! here's my confession & challenge I feel:

I struggle to lay aside the "me" that gets in the way in worship... & singing songs that declare a simple, surrendered message, like I Could Sing of Your Love Forever is great, but the duplicity of it is almost unbearable - hear this...:

oh i feel like dancing/it's foolishness I know/but when the world has seen the light/ they will dance with joy/ like we're dancing now,/

To me, it just screams "THIS ISN'T HAPPENING - it's not authentic, it's become just a "nice" song to sing, but with the meaning divorced from my "nice" reality. At times, its nauseating

Many are the words we sing, but now to live the life

Blessings to you
Louie

5:01 PM  
Blogger Kurt Libby said...

lou.

reminds me of a saying i heard about a month ago.

Christians don't tell lies, they sing them.

I agree with the nauseating part

6:56 PM  
Blogger Double D said...

Thorn, we actually do put every worship song under the microscope, and when I say we I don't mean me, I mean the people in charge of that kinda stuff, like the worship pastor and the different worship team leaders. As much as a song is good and has a good message theres more then that which is looked at before a song is used for worship, at our church at least.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home