Sunday, May 21, 2006

a prayer: it's not written to you, but this is where i am today.

currently listening: Facedown by Matt Redman

I'm doing this homework for this Bible study and it asks this question, and it's sort of unfair to just drop this on here without all the buildup because it's the last study in the series, and has been set up well, but here goes:

What can I do during my lifetime that would contribute most significantly to the cause of Christ?

the only answer I can come up with is this:

Stop living my life.

The question itself breeds a feeling of movement and need for action. The first word that comes to my mind is stop. stop living. no. not at all. but,

stop living my life
my dreams
my hopes
my career
my agenda
my to-do list
my anything


As I am moving into a time of pretty heavy recruitment and relaying this huge piece of my heart that God has spoken into, I want to make absolute sure that what I am living is not my heart, but God's heart, not my dream, but God's dream, and not my life, but God's life. It's a beautiful thing being done here that I would be able to take hold of something so huge that is really going to happen with or without me and end up in the center of God's glory, face down.

Lord, I stand on Your merciful ground
Yet with every step tread with reverence

Don't let me forget.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kurt,
Dying to self. This is the constant struggle with which we all contend. There have been times in my loooooong life that I've thought all my motives were pure and within His vision only to find out years later of all the underlying emotions that drove me to that decision. Those are the things that haunt Christ's followers. Rarely do we remember when we actually got it right. The hardest part for me is still taking the risk of making decisions that may or may not be in His perfect will, hoping and praying that whatever we decide will bring Him glory and honor and be somewhat "significant to the cause of Christ." It all comes down to learning the lessons through the process. You are precious to me and I will always enjoy watching what God is doing in your life.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home