Friday, June 09, 2006

dreamers

I read this article and wonder what kind of responses we would get as a church, but I am also challenged with an old question that Louie Locke always asked:

If money were not an object, what would we do as a church?

This seems to always be the question that I come back to, but after meeting today with someone of great insight, I have come to realize that I dream too small and way too boxed in. I set up walls for myself when looking at my own ministries, not in terms of monetary barriers, but other walls that I didn't even see being put up. Walls that can be torn down.

Not enough manpower.
Not enough time.
Too many possibilities (no focus).
Not enough maturity.
Not enough willpower.

I guess the better question would be to ask:

If God can really do anything, what would we do as a church?

This has implications of being entirely out of my control, so it freaks me out and excites the heck out of me. I hope that my dreams of what the church could be will not be held back by preconceived notions. But beyond that, I want to keep dreaming so that the church's paradigm embraces the limitlessness of God.

Why blame the dark for being dark? It is far more helpful to ask why the light isn't as bright as it could be. --Rob Bell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home